We ask Milly designer Michelle Smith, who recently partnered with Banana Republic for a Hamptons-inspired collection, our 21 questions.
- When I get dressed in the morning I think…about what color I’m in the mood for.
- I would never leave my home without…a MILLY handbag.
- The item of clothing I currently wear the most…is my Banana Republic Milly elephant shorts.
- My biggest style pet peeve is…when people wear clothes that are too tight.
- Every man should own…a smart jacket.
- Every woman should own…a killer slim cut dress and a leather jacket that fits like a glove.
- When I'm looking to de-stress I…head to spin class at SoulCycle!
- My beauty essentials are…Weleda moisturizer, mascara, Chanel Smoky Eyes shadow, Smith’s Rosebud Salve for lips.
- If my days had one extra hour I'd…I’d spend it with my kids, Sophia and William.
- The last thing I Googled was….my next vacation spot: Puglia, Italy!
- I could never travel without…can I say my kids again? My husband and I take them with us everywhere.
- To be a good designer you have to…have indefatigable drive and talent.
- The qualities I admire most when I'm looking for people to work with…smart, talented people who love what they do.
- The key to starting your own fashion line is…to have a distinct point of view that is not already out there and a good business partner.
- My guilty pleasure is…Spaghetti Carbonara.
- The best advice I ever got…my mother suggested studying design in Paris, which I did. It led to my work at Hermes, Louis Vuitton and Christian Dior Haute Couture.
- On a typical Saturday night…during the summer you’ll find me with my family at the Clam Bar in the Hamptons.
- I'm always happy when…I have friends and family around me.
- No day goes by without…realizing how lucky I am to do what I love.
- When I'm looking to get inspired I…start with color and prints.
- The one celebrity that hasn't yet worn one of my pieces that I would love to see in one is…Solange Knowles. I’m inspired by her energy and bold style.
Milly Spring 2013 Runway via IMAXtree