Whitney Port and Kate Bosworth, images: WENN.com
With holiday parties around the corner, we’ve been keeping an eye-out for easy, chic hairstyles that would work on just about anybody. One of our favorites so far? The top knot.
Inspired by Kim Kardashian—who rocked the edgy updo at the Gabrielle's Angel Foundation ball in New York last month—we simply had to learn how to do it. The top knot is easy to create, and as long as your hair is should length or longer, it will undoubtedly add an element of elegance to your look, day or night. Here’s how:
1. Start by pulling your hair into a slicked back, high ponytail.
2. If you have naturally thick and wavy hair, skip to step 3. If not, split your pontail into three or four parts and tease it gently at the base just to get a little extra volume. Then pull all the hair back together into one messy looking ponytail.
3. Divide your hair into two parts and begin winding them around each other from the base of the ponytail, then wrap everything around the elastic. Feel free to get creative!
For a messier bun: Wind the hair in different directions, stopping midway through the ponytail and switching directions. Fold left over pieces of hair over each other and let the hair fall where it may. (See Elizabeth Olsen)
For a cleaner bun: Wind two sections of the ponytail around each other all the way to the end, then wrap the whole thing neatly around the ponytail holder like a ballerina bun. (see Kate Bosworth)
4. Use hairpins to secure your knot. Start by pinning the base of the bun to keep it in place, then pin fly-aways or loose ends in place.
5. Finish off with a bit of spray to keep everything in place.
Kim Kardashian and Elizabeth Olsen, images: WENN.com